Do you sometimes travel for your business? Maybe to a conference or trade show? I do and I’ve learned a few things over the years that make traveling a little easier. Here are my top three tips.
As I collect my documentation for my trip, I like to keep it all in one folder. I surprise myself how often I have had to refer to something before I leave. If you are crossing the border you will need this available for the crossing. Here is the information I keep together for quick access.
- My hotel information (or lodging address and phone number)
- My trip information (flight, travel route, travel time)
- Car rental or shuttle information (confirmation, location, phone number)
- The Conference information (itinerary, registration, contact names)
- A list of information/items you will need to have ready for the conference or trade show
- Shipping details (if you have to ship items before you leave to meet you there)
- Cell phone numbers of anyone you are traveling with
I like to ensure I have cash, in the currency of the country I will be traveling in, on my person while traveling. This way I can easily rent a trolley if needed or pick up a coffee at a small shop without having to use my credit card all the time.
Before I leave I make sure my credit card companies know I will be using my cards in an unusual way and location. The last thing you want is to have your card frozen because they suspect it is being used illegally. It is a great service and to keep your card safe you have to make the call before you leave. You need to do this for your bank cards as well.
3. Where’s Barb
- Set a vacation voice-mail on your business line (if you want them to call you on your cell number make sure it is in your message)
- Set the automated vacation email message. If you can get email, let people know when you will be returning messages.
- Give your itinerary and full contact information to someone in your business or your family. I’m a firm believer that there should always be someone that knows exactly where you are for emergency purposes.
- If you are meeting someone at your destination, make sure they have your cell phone number and location so they can arrange to connect with you without issue.
Do you have any things you do that make your trips easier? I bet you do. Let’s hear about it in the comments below.